Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Just Passing Through - NFS




When I walk around our small neighborhood lake with Max, (my dog) we see this beautiful white bird.  I am not sure if he is a heron or an egret but from what I can research on the internet, I believe he is an egret.  He is alone and he stands in the weeds very close to the edge of the lake.  When Max and I walk almost close enough to get a good picture he flies to the opposite side of the lake.   We walk all the way to that side and he then turns and flies back as if we are some sort of threat.  I so wanted to get a close up shot of him but obviously that was not going to happen so I had to paint this from a very small photo.  It did bring to mind another time when I was questioned to be a threat.  Why I thought of this, I have no idea. Several years ago when I was still working, I was scheduled to speak to a group of nurses in Cincinnati with my job.  I was to meet one of the salesmen I worked with and speak the next day at an event.  The salesman asked me to attend a baseball game the night we arrived with the group.  The Indians were playing the Tigers.  I am not really a sports fan, even though I am married to a major Auburn fan.  I tried to beg off from the game but my friend told me it was really not about the game as much as socializing with the group.  So......I went.  We had great seats and I actually liked watching the game.  

The next morning in the lobby of the Marriott I was waiting for my ride to the event.  A nice man came up to me and asked where I was from.  I told him I was visiting from Alabama and I had come with a group from my work to Cincinnati and it was my first visit there and I had also just attended my first baseball game.  I told him my group and I had cheered the Indians on to a win over the Tigers! The man's smile faded a little and he said, "It is nice to meet you.  I am Jim Leyland, manager of the Tigers".  I told him I was sorry and hoped today would be a better day for him. . A big, big man who was obviously taking care of Mr. Leyland,  came up to me during this conversation and appeared to be frustrated that I was talking to Mr. Leyland.  Mr. Leyland explained to the man that he had approached me not the other way around.  I felt like the man saw me as some sort of threat which is hilarious since I did not even know who the Tigers were until the day before.

Sometimes we can be misunderstood and sometimes we misunderstand.  I have found the older  I get I have learned that there are times when I might think things are a certain way but I am wrong.  I think I know what someone else is thinking or what their intentions are but  I jumped to a conclusion that was not correct.  I am trying to stop doing that.  Not every perceived threat is real.  I hope the Egret can see that too and let me get a little closer next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment