Thursday, May 7, 2020

I'm Still Standin - SOLD

8" x 10" oil on linen panel

I have recently heard Elton John sing his song, "I'm Still Standin'" and I cannot get it out of my head.  I thought of that song when I came upon the reference photo for Maplesville United Methodist Church.  This is a typical little country church and it reminds me of the little church I attend.  I have had a lot of Sundays away from our church while attending via Facebook and I realized how much I missed the warm hugs and friendly smiles that I have been greeted with every Sunday for 3 years.  Our little church is like a family.  Most of the people who attend have known each other all of their lives and for some of them that has been a long time! For instance, Ms. Edna is in her 90's and she watched most of the members grow up in Arnolds Chapel United Methodist church.  She still makes time to come every other Monday and play dominoes, not any dominoes but Mexican train dominoes and that takes skill.  Life looks different on Sundays now but last week we met in our cars while the preacher and the song leader led from the carport and the back of a pick up truck.  Instead of saying, "Amen" people would honk their car horns if they liked particular parts of the sermon or song.   Max, my constant companion got to attend and he liked it too.  Even though we are not meeting in our little building, the church is still standin.  Members reach out to each other by phone and facebook, one member makes masks for those who need them, my daughter and her family work with a group that feeds the homeless twice a week and my neighbors have reached out to each other with assistance for grocery and food delivery.  That is the church and it is still standin.

No comments:

Post a Comment