Sunday, May 26, 2019

Good Good Friends - SOLD


I sketched this picture today to use as an example for a painting later and it reminds me of the gift of good, good friends who are friends forever.

I cannot believe it was almost 20 years ago when I worked as the Director of Women's Services at Cullman Regional Medical Center.  I met some good, good friends there.  At the time I managed Labor and Delivery and the Nursery, a couple of my other friends managed ICU, the Medical Unit and the Surgical Unit.  We became very close and we supported each other through thick and thin.  One year we decided to take a trip together and attend the Jazz Festival in New Orleans.  Maybe because we were responsible for 24 hour a day call on our units we felt a little like renegades to all be away from the hospital for a weekend together.  We had wonderful charge nurses who took on our responsibilities and we felt free!  We ate at Emeril's restaurant, we went shopping and we battled the wild rush of fans at the festival.  It was a time to remember.  The shopping trip turned out to be one we still laugh about.  Sheila, one of the friends and I were walking into the mall and remarked on how cool it was and how we really did not bring appropriate clothes but, hey, we were on vacation.  We could just buy what we needed.  Sheila is tall, blond and regal looking.  This particular day she had on cropped pants made out of a green army pattern.  This was before the day when "fanny packs" were making a come back and Shelia had on a black "fanny pack" to keep up with all of her money while we shopped.  We went in to a store where they had sweaters on sale for $5!  Sheila said she really needed a sweater since the temperature was getting cooler.  She found one on the sale table, the only problem was that it was orange.  Not just orange but bright orange.  She said, "Marcia should I do this?  I mean this looks horrible with my green army fatigue pants?"  We were in New Orleans!  We were having a carefree weekend so I went with the moment and said, "Sheila! Of course you can get it.  We are in New Orleans and no one knows us here.  Who do you think would say anything?  The fashion Police?"

We enjoyed the entire weekend and actually walked all over New Orleans.  

About a month later I was sitting in my office and Sheila ran in and threw a Glamour magazine on my desk.  She then quoted me and said, "Who would care?  The fashion Police?"  There on the pages of the magazine was Sheila complete in army fatigue cropped pants, a fanny pack and a bright orange sweater.  Her eyes were blacked out so unless you knew it was Sheila it would be hard to tell ---kinda.  Anyway, the magazine had a page dedicated to fashion statements.  They were called "Do's" and "Don'ts". These were outfits that you might want to "do" because they were in fashion or "don't" because this particular look just would not work.   Unfortunately, Sheila's wardrobe was labeled as a "Don't"!!

I had lunch several months ago with Sheila and another friend from that trip, Paula.  We still laugh about that.  Sheila has not let me forget it.  I am so thankful for good friends but I will no longer be giving out fashion advice. :)

1 comment:

  1. You can always say, “I just came in from my road crew.”

    ReplyDelete