Tuesday, October 23, 2018

We Are One in the Spirit - SOLD



If you read my previous post entitled, "Counting Every Blessing" you know that I am "cut" and not in a good way.  Most people who talk about being "cut" means they are in great physical shape and probably have washboard abs.  Not the case here, I have two incisions and one skin graft due to a recent melanoma ordeal.  Two weeks later my husband and I were returning from Nashville where I had been attending an art class.  He starting feeling very bad with aches and pains and fever. We visited stand alone medical clinic and we were told he had a virus that would "run it's course".  He continued to worsen with nausea and vomiting and started having double vision and severe weakness.  We then visited the ER and were told he had a problem in the nerves in his brain and he would be transferred by ambulance to be admitted to the hospital.  Diagnosis came from six physicians, six MRI's, two Cat Scans, one lumbar puncture and numerous blood tests.  Miller Fisher Syndrome, a variant of Gullian Barre' Syndrome.  He had received a flu shot 10 days prior to the virus and the combination of those two triggered an immune response where his own immune system started attacking nerve cells.  He received 5 days of immunoglobulin therapy and is home now recuperating.  He will recover but it is a slow process.  But the title of this painting comes from the fact that we truly are one in the Spirit.  When prayers, concern, love are needed, the power of those are immeasurable.  Your spirits are uplifted and your heart is touched and within that positive atmosphere of love,  God is present.  We have been so overwhelmed with the text, cards, calls and messages from so many wonderful people.  We are very thankful.  

There is a lot of strife in our world today regarding many issues and this old song comes back to me, "They'll Know We Are Christians by Our Love".

We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
And we pray that our unity will one day be restored
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yeah they'll know we are Christians by our love

We will work with each other, we will work side by side
We will work with each other, we will work side by side
And we'll guard each man's dignity and save each man's pride
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yeah, they'll know we are Christians by our love.

Songwriters:  Peter Scholtes

I do want to report according to Google that the CDC estimates between 12,000 to 56,000
people may die from the flu each year.  The chances of getting Miller Fisher or Guillian Barre from the flu shot is 1 in 100,000.




4 comments:

  1. Love this painting, but shocked and sorry to hear of your hubby's condition. And i am set to get my flu and pneumonia shots this week. Sending thoughts for you and your family for speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well please do not be scared - this was a very rare condition that the virus triggered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia... thank you for your post, I’m so sorry to hear that you and your hubby have had medical issues! Several months ago I bought your painting “Today I Will Be Happy” , and it has given me so much joy and encouragement during this season of my life of caregiving for elderly parents... I pray for you, and your hubby for complete healing, Thanks for telling folks it’s ok to get the flu shot... I agree! And if you paint another sweet little church , I’ll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda thank you so much for your kind comments. I am so glad your painting is a reminder that we choose to be happy. The challenges of caring for elderly parents is a great one on so many levels and is draining. Know that God is with you and knows and loves you in the deepest way. My prayers are with you also my friend.

    ReplyDelete