Saturday, May 19, 2018

Coffee High School - SOLD




My husband's 50th high school reunion is scheduled to take place in June.  We will be traveling back to Florence, Alabama where he will get to reminisce with old friends and honor those who are no longer living.  I cannot hardly remember anyone I went to high school with as I moved to Florence in my Sophomore year.   But, unlike me, most of my husband's friends knew each other from grammar school on to middle school and then high school.  Florence is also a small town and people know each other in a different way than a larger city.   They know each other's parents, sisters, brothers and even grandparents.   To get in "the mood" for the event, my husband  has been listening to 60's music and even contacting some old classmates.  My children smiled when we said it was his 50th.  We know what that smile means as we see it a lot lately.  It is kind of like them saying, "Wow, you're old."  But we know we are not and that 50 years can fly by faster than the time it takes a demolition crew to take down a building.  But even with the building gone, there are wonderful, funny, sad, serious, important and meaningful memories that have lasted.

The committee for the event has worked very hard to locate each class member and make this a special event.  They asked me to paint a painting of the school.  This was a challenge as I could not find many pictures of the original building.  It was later renovated and then in 2016 it was demolished.  I have a friend that has one of those wonderful memories and I just knew Nancy Stewart Whyte could fill in the gaps I needed filled in and she did.  She even told me about the colors of the windows!  I hope I caught the spirit of Coffee High School.





No comments:

Post a Comment